We want your pet’s first visit to Berg Animal Hospital to be a pleasant, informative experience for you and a happy experience for your pet. You will be greeted warmly and taken care of efficiently by our professional, friendly receptionists and your pet will be cared for by our compassionate technicians and veterinarians in our calming atmosphere.
It is critical to have your new pet examined as soon as possible. A thorough exam can determine if your pet has any infectious, congenital or inherited diseases.
Important Facts for New Dog & Cat Owners
- Puppies should receive Distemper-Hepatitis-Parainfluenza-Parvo-Leptospirosis (often called the “Distemper Vaccine”) vaccine starting at as early as six weeks of age. It requires a series of injections to initially vaccinate. A yearly booster is required after the initial series.
- Rabies is given to all kittens and puppies 12 weeks (about 3 months) and older and lasts for one year.
- A puppy’s first Rabies vaccine is good for one year, subsequent vaccines last three years.
- “Lifestyle” vaccines include Bordetella, and are recommended if your dog frequently comes into contact with other dogs, such as in a boarding kennel, groomers, dog shows or dog parks.
- Lyme vaccine is recommended if your dog will be exposed to ticks.
- Puppies should begin heartworm preventative by six weeks of age, given that they have reached five pounds by that point, and should continue this medication monthly for its lifetime.
- Kittens also receive Rhinotracheitis-Calici-Panleukopenia (often called the “Feline Distemper”) vaccine starting as early as six weeks of age. It requires a series of injections to initially vaccinate. A yearly booster is required after the initial series.
- We recommend spaying/neutering for dogs and cats at six months of age.
- It’s a good idea to bring a stool sample at your pet’s first visit so that we can check for internal parasites. Yearly fecal exams are recommended, as well as monthly flea and tick prevention year-round.
To schedule an appointment with us, please download the form below and contact us either by clicking here or by calling (732) 566-6550.